Signs that your Loved One May Have Been the Victim of Funeral Home Negligence
Losing somebody that you love is one of life’s most challenging, most painful events. People who have survived this type of personal grief and who have come out the other side often express their gratitude for the many support services who have made the process easier: members of the clergy, undertakers, and funeral home staff. Unfortunately, there are some people for whom the experience of death and burial is made much harder by the negligent, unethical, and at times fraudulent actions of those in the burial industry. Funeral home negligence is a growing problem in the United States, and it creates victims of both the deceased and their survivors. If you believe that you have been the victim of funeral home negligence, you need the assistance of experienced, capable attorneys who have the legal knowledge and compassion to pursue them and get you the justice you deserve. The attorneys at Bochetto & Lentz are dedicated to righting the wrongs done by negligent funeral home staff.
Grief, loss and pain can leave you in shock and make you feel numb: it can make it difficult for bereaved family members and friends to keep track of what is going on. Unfortunately, unethical, uncaring burial personnel can take advantage of your lack of focus, cheating you and your loved one of the dignity that they deserve and the services that you have contracted for. If you suspect that there is a chance that you’ve been the victim of funeral home negligence, there are a number of signs that you should for and crimes that may have been committed against you. These include:
- Improperly embalming the body
- Improperly storing the body
- Cremating the wrong body
- Losing cremated remains
- Harvesting your loved ones’ organs for resale
- Permitting an unlicensed person to take responsibility for your loved ones’ embalming
- Stealing jewelry, heirlooms or other personal property, or even gold fillings from your loved one’s body before they are buried
- Burying the body in the wrong cemetery plot
- Putting another person’s body in the plot you purchased for your loved one
- Being careless with your loved ones’ body during transport
- Selling you one casket and then replacing it with another one that is of lower value, broken, or defective
- Failure to provide maintenance for a grave after you have purchased a maintenance policy for it
- Failing to provide appropriate security for a graveyard or gravesite and allowing vandalism to take place
- Overcharging for burial procedures or services
- Putting more than one body into a coffin or overcrowding a mausoleum with multiple bodies or remains
- Permitting remains to decompose excessively due to improper storage or embalming
The stress and distress that you experience as a result of your loss should not be made worse by the callous indifference of those who you entrust to provide your loved one with dignified and respectful burial services. The attorneys at Bochetto & Lentz are here to provide you with the legal guidance and representation that you need to right these wrongs and get you compensation to make up for your pain and expense.
Learn more about our Funeral Home Negligence Services HERE.