Settlements & Verdicts
Over the years, B&L has obtained settlements and verdicts in excess of $100 million for its clients. Here are some of them:
Business & Commerce
- $10.5 million verdict against switchless reseller in fraud and injunction action.
- Receiver appointed over West Coast Telecom provider which breached contract.
- $4 million recovery in antitrust suit vs Hospital.
- $1.4 million settlement in contract dispute between IXC and switchless reseller.
- Successfully defended numerous defendants in SEC enforcement action, Justice Department civil and criminal prosecutions, and Regulatory Disputes.
- $5.5 million recovery in tax refund litigation.
- $2.8 million recovery in broadcast royalty dispute.
- $3.3 million recovery in business fraud matter.
- $1.6 million dollar verdict in contract dispute amongst lawyers.
- $7 million settlement in Emergency Room negligence case: Failure to diagnose patient’s acute condition.
- $6 million settlement in brain damage sustained by child during birth due to loss of oxygen.
- $4.8 million settlement: Over medication claim/pharmacy negligence.
- $2.75 million settlement for failure to properly treat and diagnose a stroke victim.
- $2.4 million settlement relating to a patient overdose.
- $1.3 million settlement for defective Lasik Eye surgery, involving permanent injury as a result of negligent surgery and follow-up care.
- $1.2 million jury verdict for parents of a stillborn child in Montgomery County, a venue where verdicts in excess of $1 million dollars are virtually unheard of. Case involved a child whose mother was given too much Pitocin during labor causing excessive contractions, a uterine rupture and ultimately the death of the unborn child.
- $880,000 jury verdict for Eye Laser surgery, involving negligence of surgeon during an eye laser procedure causing permanent visual damage and a loss of earnings.
- $750,000 settlement just before trial for doctor’s failure to diagnose cancer for over one year.
- $675,000 settlement for patient injured by an anesthesiologist during her open heart procedure.
- $250,000 settlement during trial in doctor’s failure to diagnose Lyme Disease.
- $10.7 million jury verdict obtained on behalf of ex-boxer Randall Tex Cobb, who was defamed by Sports Illustrated and falsely accused of being involved in a fixed fight.
- $3.6 million settlement for executive, defamed by employer.
- $2.4 million recovery against a Philadelphia University for disparaging a graduate student’s work and wrongly alleging plagiarism.
- $900,000 recovery for victim of false radio news report.
- $500,000 settlement against the newspaper, based upon a news article disparaging a lawyer making false statements about his conduct.
- $250,000 settlement against newspaper for publishing defamatory letter to editor.
- Settlement (amount confidential) versus Universal Pictures and retraction on behalf of middleweight champion Joey Giardello for false light portrayal in the movie The Hurricane.
- Jury verdict against the New York Times finding defamation of Philadelphia area pharmaceutical company.
- Retractions negotiated in cases involving local and national media outlets.
- Settlements (confidential) in numerous other libel and slander matters.
Personal Injury Claims
- $5 million settlement for work site accident claim caused by hazard left on roadway.
- $3 million settlement for crush injury sustained by a client in a trucking accident.
- $3 million settlement on behalf of a woman who was severely injured when she was hit by a truck driving at an excess rate of speed.
- $2.25 million settlement for warehouse accident involving catastrophic leg injury from negligent forklift operation.
- $1.9 million settlement for a client who was involved in a forklift injury.
- $1.5 million settlement for family in catastrophic car accident involving traumatic brain injuries
- $1.5 million settlement on behalf of a widow whose husband died as a result of the negligence of a truck driver.
- $1.2 million settlement for client who sustained injuries as a result of a defective ramp installed in an apartment complex which caused spinal injuries.
- $1.25 million settlement against municipality for personal injuries caused by its police department.
- $1 million structured settlement on behalf of a minor child who was killed due to the negligence of a truck driver.
- $900,000 jury verdict for a client who slipped off a ladder while working near a defective boiler system.
- $485,000 jury verdict for a client who fell due to a defective stair railing.
- $400,000 settlement against a municipality for injuries sustained as a result of a defective sidewalk.
- $250,000 settlement for worker who was injured by a defective machine which lacked appropriate safety guards and kill switches.
Civil Fraud Claims
- $2.75 million recovery for client in civil fraud and breach of contract case involving historic boxing films.
- $2.8 million AAA arbitration award in a RICO action on behalf of physicians defrauded by former partners.
- $870,000 jury verdict for the descendant of the famous Civil War General George Pickett, who lead the charge at the Battle of Gettysburg. We were able to prove that our client had been given a false appraisal and was defrauded out of valuable family heirlooms.
- $1.5 settlement of RICO claims for renown physician from former employer.
- $1 million for civil fraud claims for a client who was defrauded by his insurance company.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- $3 million valued royalty settlement of patent claim.
- $1.3 million settlement for client whose intellectual property rights were stolen and whose confidential information was misappropriated by a competitor.
- $850,000 settlement of movie rights claim for copyright infringement.
- $750,000 verdict on behalf of trademark owner.
- $275,000 settlement and injunction on behalf of a copyright owner.
- $385,000 recovery on behalf of an artist for misappropriation of his copyrighted art work.
Disclaimer: The results referenced above are not an assurance of future results in other cases as each case is different and must be decided on its facts and the applicable law.