ALBERT BELMONT III
Albert has developed a reputation for combining cooperation and the potential for aggressive litigation to get results quickly and cost effectively with maximized outcomes. With both large (Morgan Lewis & Bockius, LLP) and mid-sized firm experience (Flaster Greenberg, P.C.), Albert combines the power and skills of a larger firm with the efficiency and flexibility of a boutique practice.
Albert’s real estate, construction, and business focused practice encompasses a variety of subjects for his clients, including:
real estate and business advice, litigation (landlord-tenant disputes, eviction/collection proceedings, tax assessment appeals for real estate taxes and other business taxes, quiet title, specific performance, construction and mechanics liens) , transactions (drafting and negotiating leases, subleases, agreements of sale of real estate, business assets or liquor licenses, easements, financing), and governmental permissions (variances, zoning permits, site plan approvals)
commercial litigation, for plaintiffs and defendants, in the areas of partnership disputes, breach of contracts for sale of real estate, breach of commercial contracts/warranties, commercial torts, intellectual property
construction litigation, for plaintiffs and defendants, in relating to construction defects and professional negligence by engineers, architects and other construction professionals.
Other significant cases on which Albert worked are:
- Represented nightclub owners in dispute with City of Philadelphia with respect to seven-figure tax claim of city for unpaid taxes, penalties and interest in connection with allegedly unpaid wage, liquor, and amusement tax and obtained judgments in taxpayer’s favor in front of Tax Review Board with respect to amusement tax and negotiated successful reduction and settlement of other tax claims.
- Represented business owner in dispute with City of Philadelphia with respect to seven-figure tax claim of city for unpaid taxes, penalties and interest in connection with allegedly unpaid wage, liquor and other taxes and negotiated successful reduction and settlement.
- Represented business owner in dispute with City of Philadelphia concerning six figure storm-water assessment and negotiated successful reduction and settlement.
- Obtained mandatory injunction for tenant/developer of reality in the City of Philadelphia in action against the City requesting reinstatement of building permits in which vested rights had been obtained.
- Represented multiple landlords, including two national retail shopping center owners and operators, in multiple landlord/tenant eviction and collection matters throughout Pennsylvania and New Jersey
- Represented franchisee of Golden Corral in negotiating several multi-million dollar SBA loans with Parke Bank (covering construction and operation, in separate phases).
- Represented franchisee of Checker’s Drive-in Restaurants in negotiating leases and asset purchase agreements for multiple locations in Southeastern Pennsylvania and South Jersey.
- Represented franchisee of Tilted Kilt in negotiating leases and asset purchase agreement for location in North Carolina.
- Represented Citco gasoline dealer in negotiating asset purchase agreement for location in Southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Represented franchisee of Floorguard in negotiating asset purchase agreement and financing;
- Represented regional sports bar chain in negotiating financing, leases, asset purchase agreements and liquor license transfers in connection with locations in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Albert was one of the attorneys who won a precedent setting appeal before the Third Circuit establishing the standing rights of option holders for the purchase of land to bring suit in federal court. (Toll Bros. v. Readington, et al., No. 06-1053 (3d. Cir. Feb, 4, 2009).
Albert was also named one of SJ Magazine’s “25 People to Watch” in 2005. In 2006, 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, and 2013, he was named one of the top attorneys in South Jersey in SJ Magazine.
Due to the breadth of his experience and knowledge, many of Albert’s business clients utilize him as a general “outside” counsel who is capable of handling or advising on a range of complex issues that affect their business.
ALBERT BELMONT III
P: (215) 735-3900
F: (215) 735-2455
B.A. Public Policy and International Affairs & Certificate in Environmental Studies, 1996
Northwestern University School of Law
(Juris Doctor, 1999,with a Concentration in Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology: Book Review Editor, and Law Clerk for Legal Clinic).
Belmont is admitted to practice before the State Bar in PA and NJ and admitted to Federal Court in the E.D. Pa., M.D. Pa, W.D. Pa, D. N.J., 3rd Circuit, and U.S. Supreme Court.